The Enterprise Cloud Data Journey: Profiles in Usage
Webinar Speaker: James Kobielus, Senior Research Director, Data Management
Date: Wednesday, July 20, 2022
Time: 9:00 a.m. PT, 12:00 p.m. ET
Enterprises are putting more data in the cloud and realizing deeper value as they increase their usage of on-demand computing, storage, and other resources.
When relying on cloud data providers, enterprises are increasingly seeking vendors that are deploying scalable, elastic, usage-based SaaS licensing models. Usage-based models (often called consumption models) help eliminate shelfware while facilitating a “try before you buy” customer experience. Within their cloud data journeys, organizations will continue to evolve their service usage in line with changes in their strategic and operational business requirements. The cloud data providers who prevail in this competitive arena will be those that continually reassess their service packaging and pricing structures to align with changes in customers’ usage profiles.
In this webinar, join TDWI’s senior research director James Kobielus as he explores the importance of usage-based pricing for cloud data services. After Kobielus’ remarks, he and Snowflake’s senior director of finance Frank Cirone will discuss the following issues:
- What’s the difference between subscription and usage-based pricing models?
- From a user’s point of view, what are the advantages of usage-based pricing vis-à-vis subscription pricing? What about from the provider’s point of view?
- What steps should a user consider when evaluating how they might commercialize their data assets under a usage-based model?
- What should I consider when picking my value metric? Should every product have a different value metric?
- Should usage-based pricing models be tailored to where an enterprise is in its cloud data journey?
- Is usage-based pricing consistent with tiered pricing for cloud data services?
- What are the key infrastructure considerations for a provider looking to operationalize a usage model?
- Do investors ascribe a premium to enterprises that deploy a usage-based model over a subscription model? What are the key financial metrics that a provider needs to manage within their internal reporting infrastructure?
Managing Director - Market Development
Frank is currently the Managing Director of Market Development for Snowflake. He spends the bulk of his time helping start-up’s as well as mature enterprises evaluate strategies to commercialize their data on Snowflake including innovating on their go-to-market revenue models.
Prior to joining Snowflake, Frank spent 21 years in various senior operating roles including President of two software businesses in the access control and physical security information management space. Frank has held numerous senior management positions in the technology and financial services industries, including CEO and co-founder of a PE-backed specialty finance company, and as the CEO of a multi-billion dollar global technology finance business.
Frank started his career in public accounting and spent the first 15 years in various finance roles.
Date: July 20, 2022
Time: 9:00 am PT