IS CBIP RIGHT FOR YOU?
The CBIP program is designed for senior-level information systems and technology professionals in the analytics and data management industry.
How much experience do I need? TDWI Recommends:
Professional Experience and/or Educational Experience
(The following experience is recommended, but not a required pre-requisite for CBIP certification.)
Two or more years of full-time direct experience in any of the following:
- Information Systems
- Analytics, data science
- Data Modeling
- Metadata Systems Development
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Systems Analysis
- Application Design and Development
- Information Technology Management
BA or MA degree in any of the following:
- Information Systems
- Computer Science
- Accounting, Analytics
- Business Administration
- Engineering, Mathematics
The Certification Process
1Identify Your Exams
CBIP certification requires successfully passing three exams.
- The Data Foundations exam is required for all certifications.
- You may then select either the Business Core or Information Systems Core exam as your second mandatory exam.
- To complete your certification, you must also select at least one specialty area exam.
You may choose to become certified in multiple specialty areas by taking additional exams.
CERTIFICATION REQUIRES PASSING THREE EXAMS:
TWO CORE EXAMS:
- Data Foundations
Data Foundations Exam
AND one of the following:
Designed to test data warehousing knowledge and experience
- • Business Core OR
Business Core Exam
Designed to test knowledge and experience of the theory and practice of business and technology management
- • Information Systems Core
Information Systems Core Exam
Designed to test information systems knowledge and experience
ONE SPECIALTY EXAM:
- Business Analytics
- Data Integration & Interoperability
- Data Management (Data Analysis and Design specialty)
- Leadership and Management
Identify Your Specialty Area
CBIP offers four recognized industry specialty areas to validate your skills and experience.
The exams you take will be based on the specialty area(s) you select.
- BUSINESS ANALYTICS: Understanding of both business and technical topics: concepts of performance management, business metrics definition and delivery, data visualization, and deployment and use of technology solutions such as OLAP, dashboards, scorecards, analytic applications, and data mining.
- DATA INTEGRATION: Proficiency in acquiring, transforming, and cleansing data. Mastery of concepts and skills for source data analysis and source qualification, data profiling, source/target mapping, data cleansing and transformation, and ETL development.
- DATA ANALYSIS AND DESIGN: Analysis concentrates on understanding business needs, and design translates needs into data structures. Skills include analysis, business metrics specification, and relational and dimensional modeling, as well as an understanding of data warehousing concepts, architectures, and processes.
- LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT: Requires deep process knowledge, including development methodology, program and project management, as well as organizational and team-building skills. An understanding of business topics such as BPM, CRM, and SCM is also needed.
2Prepare for Your Exams
If you’re one of the few who possesses a wealth of knowledge and experience—both broad and deep—you can take the exams without any preparation. However, the exams are rigorous, and TDWI recommends that you take time to prepare.
- CBIP DIGITAL EXAM GUIDE:
The CBIP Exam Guide contains detailed exam outlines, reference reading lists, sample exam questions, and answer explanations for each exam included in the CBIP program. The guide will help you identify areas where additional study and/or work experience may be necessary.
- EXAM PREPARATION COURSES:
In addition to many CBIP-friendly courses offered at TDWI educational conferences and seminars, TDWI offers dedicated preparation courses for the core CBIP exams.
TDWI offers prep courses for the mandatory core exams through TDWI Online Learning as well as TDWI Team Training. Prep courses for the Specialty exams are available via TDWI Team Training.
Prep courses can improve exam scores and are designed for veterans and novices alike to provide an interactive and informative review prior to testing. Test preparation includes discussion, review of concepts, terminology, and sample exam questions.
View Prep Courses
*Mandatory exam preparation courses are available through TDWI Online Learning. CBIP Exam Preparation Courses for all exams (including Specialties) are available through our TDWI Team Training Program.
3Take Your Exams
THERE ARE TWO WAYS TO TAKE CBIP EXAMS:
- Via TDWI Team Training
- Via individual exams proctored remotely over the Internet. Candidates must have a computer with high-speed Internet, a webcam, and audio capability.
LENGTH OF EXAMS AND SCORING
Each exam is 110 questions long with a time limit of 1.5 hours. Exam questions are multiple choice and are “straight-line,” which means the answer to one question does not affect the next question. Scores and personal profile are available immediately.
- PRACTITIONER LEVEL: Score 50 percent (50%) or higher on each of three exams. Practitioner Level certification demonstrates a working knowledge of concepts, skills, and techniques within a specialty, as well as the ability to assume leadership responsibilities at both the project and program levels.
- MASTERY LEVEL: Score 70 percent (70%) or higher on each of three exams. Mastery Level professionals have mastered concepts, skills, and best practices within a specialty. They have the ability to lead a team effectively at the project and program levels, and have the skills to mentor others.
4Keep Your CBIP Current
Your certification is valid for four years. After this initial period, it must be renewed every three years. Recertification requires proof of 120 credit hours of continuing education and an annual fee of $125 due to ICCP after the first year of certification. TDWI works with ICCP* for CBIP recertification. ICCP handles all annual billing, collects recertification fees, and processes all continuing education credits for CBIP holders.
*Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals®
WAYS TO KEEP LEARNING AND CONNECTING WITH TDWI
- EDUCATION: Gain knowledge and earn continuing education credits by attending TDWI Conferences, Seminars, Summits, Online Learning, and other events. tdwi.org/events
- CBIP ON LINKEDIN: Join the TDWI group on LinkedIn. tdwi.org/linkedin-group
- TDWI MEMBERSHIP: Stay on the cutting edge with TDWI’s exclusive research and publications. tdwi.org/membership
Get ahead of the competition.
CBIP CERTIFICATION BENEFITS.
SALARYCurrent surveys demonstrate that CBIP-certified professionals enjoy higher salaries.
OPPORTUNITYToday’s hiring managers and recruiters take certification seriously.
CREDIBILITYThe rigorous examination process ensures that CBIP is the industry standard.
VERSATILITYThe credential validates advanced technical knowledge without ties to a specific vendor or product.
RECOGNITIONHave your BI and analytics expertise confirmed by a recognized industry organization.
SPECIALIZATIONCBIP recognizes your experience in distinct skill areas, which helps employers confidently match your skills to their job requirements.
VALIDATIONCBIP goes beyond conceptual and theoretical knowledge, demanding real-world experience and the demonstrated ability to apply your skills.
DEVELOPMENTRecertification requirements ensure that your knowledge keeps pace with a rapidly changing field.
CHOOSE YOUR TRACK:
CBIP for Business Professionals
CBIP for IT Professionals
Looking for TEAM certification?
TDWI brings instructors, CBIP exam preparation courses, any extra education, and the CBIP examinations to you via onsite or virtual delivery, to train a group at your organization with a training package tailored to your team’s needs.
Get Started Today!
Email [email protected] for more information or to request details about recertification.