Strategies for Data Warehouse Migration
Webinar Speaker: Philip Russom, Senior Research Director for Data Management
Date: Tuesday, March 24, 2020
Time: 9:00 a.m. PT, 12:00 p.m. ET
Tips for selecting the right platform and planning an effective migration project
TDWI Research estimates that almost half of existing data warehouse programs are facing a change of platform for their data warehouse. This means that they must plan a data migration project for moving warehouse data from the old platform to a new one.
In a similar scenario, some organizations will leave the current data warehouse in place and augment it with additional data platforms. However, this also requires a data migration project to redistribute and balance data across the new combination of platforms.
This TDWI webinar will share a number of tips concerning data warehouse migrations:
- What a data platform is and how it relates to the data of your warehouse, plus why so many platforms need replacement or augmentation today
- What compute platform, functionality, deployment, cost, and administrative issues to consider when selecting a modern data warehouse platform
- Why your warehouse may need multiple platform types in a hybrid combination
- How to organize a migration project with a strategy for minimal risk, efficient data movement, and improvements to data for new analytics use cases
- The requirements of a modern cloud data platform
- How a cloud data platform simultaneously can be a data lake and data warehouse, while also helping streamline data pipelines and facilitate data science
- Best practices for migrating a data warehouse, including tips & tricks and gotchas
Philip Russom, Ph.D.