How to Modernize Data Lake Technologies with Cloud-Based Solutions
Webinar Speaker: Philip Russom, Senior Research Director for Data Management
Date: Thursday, April 18, 2019
Time: 9:00 a.m. PT, 12:00 p.m. ET
Data lakes based on Hadoop technologies have proved themselves valuable in mission-critical use cases such as data warehousing, advanced analytics, multichannel marketing, complete customer views, digital supply chains, and the modernization of data management.
Most Hadoop users are committed to the data lake method of managing data, but they are limited by Hadoop shortcomings in key areas such as cluster maintenance, administration cost, resource management, metadata management, and support for SQL and other relational technologies. Many view cloud-based solutions as the optimal replacement for their data lake, but they are not ready to make such a significant change. The truth is: they don't have to, as the two technologies can coexist.
In this TDWI Webinar, you will learn about:
- Data lakes: what they are and what they can do for your organization
- Real-world use cases for data lakes in data warehousing, analytics, self-service data practices, and operations
- The origin of Hadoop data lakes: why some are on relational databases and others are on multiple platforms
- Why the cloud is becoming the preferred platform
- How Hadoop's limitations affect data lake success
- How the benefits of cloud technologies apply to data lakes
- Statistics about Hadoop, data lakes, and cloud adoption and migration
- Future directions for data lakes including multiplatform architectures, hybrid lakes, virtual lakes, and relational lakes
Philip Russom, Ph.D.