It’s time to apply for a
2016 TDWI Best Practices Award
Have you completed a data warehouse, business intelligence, data management, or analytics implementation that you think other organizations could learn from? Would you like some recognition for your accomplishment? Are you a vendor or consultant with successful customers who deserve recognition?
If the answer is “yes” to any of these questions, then you should consider submitting an entry form for a TDWI Best Practices Award. Once a year, TDWI collects award entries, judges them, and gives awards in several categories in data warehousing, business intelligence, data management, and analytics. It’s that time of year again, so get your award entry together and submit it before the deadline of May 27, 2016.
To streamline the process, TDWI has reduced the number of questions on the entry form.
The Purpose of the Awards
TDWI’s Best Practices Awards program is designed to identify and honor companies and other organizations that have demonstrated best practices in developing, deploying, and maintaining solutions for business intelligence (BI), analytics, data warehousing (DW), and related data management (DM) areas (like data integration, data quality, and master data management). We also grant awards for innovative uses of emerging technologies, new development methods, and creative funding, as they apply to BI, DW, DM, and analytics. Winners are chosen by a panel of independent judges who have expertise in the field. Judges select winners from written entry forms and, if needed, follow-up interviews. They score entries on business value, maturity, innovation, and relevance to other organizations.
Selected Winners Will Receive
- Recognition from TDWI, the BI/DW industry’s leading professional association with thousands of Members worldwide.
- An invitation to attend and be recognized at an award ceremony held at the TDWI Conference in San Diego.
- A free pass to the conference where awards are presented.
- Publication of their project in Best of TDWI, an online magazine, which is distributed to BI professionals throughout the world, and the Business Intelligence Journal, which is distributed to TDWI Members.
- A project summary page on TDWI’s website that contains links to the organization’s homepage (includes sponsor logo and website link, if applicable).
- Recognition in TDWI press release about the Best Practices Awards.
- Opportunity to speak at a TDWI World Conference or other events (at TDWI’s discretion).
- Company name on signage at the TDWI World Conference announcing Best Practices Awards winners.
Entrant Eligibility Requirements
Eligible entrants are any private or public company, government agency, or non-profit organization, which has implemented a BI/DW/DM or analytics implementation to enhance organizational decision making or operations. Applicants may nominate themselves for this award, or their solution vendor may nominate them. If you are a solution vendor, you may only nominate yourself if you are submitting an internal implementation that involves more than implementing your own product.
Organizations may apply in no more than two categories, and must submit a separate entry form for each category, where each entry is tailored to its category. Companies that submitted entries last year (but were not chosen) may enter again, but entry forms must be updated for the current year and re-submitted. Winners from a previous year may submit an entry for a new or different BI/DW/DM or analytics solution.
A team of judges comprised of TDWI staff and faculty members will evaluate the entries using the following criteria:
- Business Impact. What is the business value of the BI/DW/DM or analytics initiative?
- Maturity. To what degree has the solution’s ‘vision’ been implemented? Has the solution been operating long enough to corroborate business impact and growth?
- Relevance. Does the BI/DW/DM or analytics solution exemplify best practices that other companies can adopt?
- Innovation. Does the BI/DW/DM or analytics solution use an innovative design or approach? Innovation can relate to technology, business, organization, methodology, and so on.
Best Practices Awards Winners. TDWI may declare multiple winners per category if multiple entries merit recognition. TDWI may also decline to declare a winner if the judges feel none of the entrants in that category represent a laudable best practice.
- Big Data
- BI, Search, and Self-Service Data Discovery
- Real- and Right-Time Operational Intelligence
- Data Management Strategies
- BI and Analytics on A Limited Budget
- Analytics and Data Science
- Emerging Technologies and Methods
- Data Visualization and Data Storytelling
- Data Warehouse Innovation
Tips for Successful Applications
- Entries that have a high chance of winning will describe tangible business impact, especially in financial returns.
- Entries will have a minimal chance of winning when they emphasize a sponsor’s product as a key attribute for success or have been in production for less than a year.
- Answers to the entry form’s questions should be succinct, well-constructed, comprehensive and logical, with enough detail to adequately define the project. Extremely long or extremely short submissions are always more difficult to judge.
- Limit the number of attachments you submit with your entry to those that clearly illustrate a major point you are trying to make. Avoid using overly complex architectural diagrams.
- Send your completed entry form and supporting diagrams in one email to ensure that they stay together through the judging process.
- Thoroughly fill out all contact information on the first page of the entry form and note which category the application is for.
- Be sure to print the first page of the application, sign where indicated and fax to TDWI at 425-687-2842, to the attention of Brenda Woodbridge. Please do NOT fax the entire entry form.
- View an example of an award-winning application.
How to Apply
- Download the entry form here.
- Once the entry form is completed, email it and any supporting diagrams to email@example.com. We recommend you request a return receipt when sending to ensure that your email is actually received.
- Print a copy of the front page only of the entry form, sign it where indicated, and fax to 425-687-2842. All emailed entry forms must be matched with faxed signatures to be considered complete.
- May 27, 2016- Applications Due - FINAL DEADLINE. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- August 4, 2016 - Best Practices winners announced.
Rules of Entry
- You must submit your entry form via email.
- Individual companies may nominate themselves in up to two categories. Instead of submitting exactly the same entry, however, it’s best to create a tailored version for each category.
- Prior year's winners may apply if they submit a new entry form for a new or significantly enhanced project.
- You must print, sign, and email or fax the first page of the entry form where indicated in order for the entry form to be considered complete. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 425-687-2842, to the attention of Brenda Woodbridge.
Special Note to Solution Sponsors
- You may submit a maximum of six entries in total on behalf of customers. For example, you can submit entries for three customers in two categories each, six customers in one category each, or any combination of customers and categories.
- If your nominated customer is chosen as a winner, you will be recognized as a Best Practices Solution Sponsor.
- Winning solution sponsors receive a Best Practices award trophy and a Best Practices logo for use on their website and in print materials, and mention on the TDWI website (including logo on winner’s page), press release, and various TDWI publications.
If you have any questions about the TDWI Best Practices program, please contact Brenda Woodbridge via email at email@example.com.