VAST Data Simplifies and Secures Universal Storage for the Cyber Era
Version 4 adds new enterprise features including ransomware protection, extended security, cloud-based management, and data analytics.
Note: TDWI’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
VAST Data has introduced VASTOS Version 4, its Universal Storage operating system, which provides a wide range of enterprise security and management features designed to harden and simplify data management. This new release combines additional layers of protocol and data access security with safeguards against ransomware attacks, access to VAST’s centralized management service, and extended data analytics that assist customers with long-range capacity planning.
As ransomware attacks continue to rise, enterprises need more than just fast backup and disaster recovery. They also need enterprise-grade cybersecurity and consolidated analytics. Many of the world’s most innovative companies already trust the Universal Storage OS for their critical data sets,including a major U.S. automaker, a genomics research firm, and a globalquantitative research organization.
New Enterprise Security Features
- Ransomware protection with indestructible snapshots: Theaverage cost of ransomware remediation in the U.S. is now over $2M and the business continuity impact can be catastrophic. VAST Data’s indestructible snapshots provide customers with an additional layer of ransomware protection. This ensures that their critical read-only snapshots and snapshot policies are immutable, protecting them from accidental deletion and rogue admins and attackers who gain privileged system credentials.
- NFS 4.1:VAST Data’s native implementation of NFS 4.1 offers built-in security and performance features for regulated and security-minded organizations, including support for:
- Kerberos v5 for secure authentication/authorization
- NFS 4 access control lists (ACLs), and integrated file and byte-range locking for fine-grained and secure permissions for files and directories
- Support for NFS 4 nconnect, which maximizes NFS performance by providing multiple network connections between the NFS client and the storage port.
- Policy-based data isolation: VAST’s container pools isolate performance access by providing QoS across pools of highly available containers. With its new VIP pool view policies, customers can now limit data exports to specific pools and/or VLANs, making it possible to restrict data access along hardware and network boundaries.
Simplified Systems Management
- Uplink cloud management: VAST Data’s Uplink enables customers to monitor all their Universal Storage clusters from anywhere in the world by accessing the same centralized portal that VAST’s Co-Pilot and support teams use to manage the global fleet of Universal Storage systems. This centralized, cloud-based management pane provides a consolidated view into an enterprise’s Universal Storage environments and is the basis for 360° customer experiences.
- Data flow monitoring: With new data flow monitoring, customers can understand how their applications and users are interacting with Universal Storage. Data Flows explain and visually display performance statistics via a simple-to-use interface and make it easy for administrators to drill down into specific flows.
- Simplified capacity and data reduction reporting: Universal Storage pioneers a new form of global and finely granular data reduction with its similarity-based data reduction. VASTOS Version 4 introduces new fine-grained tools that help customers visualize the consumption of both physical and logical capacity so they can be more intelligent about capacity planning and management.
Universal Storage Version 4 is available now.