IT Leaders Lack Insights for Hybrid Cloud Unstructured Data Management
Komprise survey finds over half of enterprises want to store more data in the cloud, but questions of where and when remain.
Note: TDWI’s editors carefully choose press releases related to the data and analytics industry. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the author's statements.
Komprise, a leader in analytics-driven data management as a service, announced the results of new research: “Komprise 2021 State of Unstructured Data Management Report.” The third-party survey examines the challenges and opportunities with unstructured data in the enterprise with responses from 300 storage IT decision makers at companies in the United States and the UK.
The majority of organizations surveyed are managing more than 1PB of data and spending more than 30% of IT budgets on data storage and protection, a cost overhead that’s showing no signs of slowing down. Yet this unstructured data -- application data, user documents, video and images, and research files -- represents untapped insights for future business value. IT leaders realize that migrating data to the cloud can help cut costs and enable data monetization. The survey finds that they need analytics to help devise a cloud-data-management strategy for better planning, cost savings, and support for cloud-based data lake and AI projects.
Highlights of the survey:
Unstructured data is growing as are its costs
- Two-thirds (65.5%) of organizations spend more than 30% of their IT budgets on data storage and management
- Most (62.5%) will spend more on storage in 2021 versus 2020
Getting more data to the cloud is a key priority
- Half (50%) of enterprises have data stored in a mix of on-premises and cloud-based storage
- Top priorities for cloud data management include migrating data to the cloud (56%), cutting storage and data costs (46%), and governance and security of data in the cloud (41%)
IT leaders want visibility first before investing in more storage
- Investing in analytics tools was the highest priority (45%) over buying more cloud or on-premises storage or modernizing backups
- One-third of enterprises acknowledge that over 50% of data is cold; 20% don’t know; suggests a need to right-place data through its life cycle
Unstructured data management goals & challenges: visibility, cost management and data lakes
- Almost half (44.9%) wish to avoid rising costs
- 44.5% want better visibility for planning.
- Almost as many (42%) are interested in tagging data for future use and enabling data lakes
You can download the full report at here (short registration required).