TDWI Research Releases Key Salary and Bonus Trends for Data Professionals in 2017 Report
Report reveals salaries and job satisfaction on the rise for the previous year, yet widening gender gap persists. Growth for women working in the data industry comes to a halt, while men’s salaries reached a new high according to long-running survey.
SEATTLE, WA, April XX, 2017—TDWI, the leading resource for in-depth education and research on all things data, recently released results from the 2017 TDWI Salary, Roles, and Responsibilities Report. This annual report captures key information from the people and teams who built and maintained business intelligence (BI), analytics, and data management solutions during the previous calendar year. This year’s report is based on responses from 680 qualified data management, business intelligence, and analytics professionals throughout the U.S. and Canada, collected in the fall of 2016.
TDWI’s Salary, Roles, and Responsibilities Report tracks average salary and bonus trends for the last five years and include breakdowns of salary by role, region, industry, company revenue, company size, and gender. The report details the top 10 job titles including average age, education, job satisfaction, salary and bonus, certification, background, and other defining characteristics.
Highlights from the TDWI 2017 Salary Report:
- The gender gap widened in 2016, as men’s pay outpaced women’s by $12,939 — substantially higher than 2015’s margin of $6,147.
- Average bonuses awarded to female BI professionals rose only 4 percent, to $13,472, compared to the men’s average of $18,258. The disparity also increased between the numbers of men and women receiving bonuses, 71 percent of men to 66 percent of women.
- Average salaries for full-time business intelligence (BI) professionals rebounded 4.3 percent in 2016, to $112,351 — setting a new record for the survey. The raise comes after a 2.1 percent decline the previous year.
- After a period of relative stability, bonuses took a big leap in 2016. The average bonus reached a new high of $17,210 — almost 20 percent more than in 2015.
- The median salary also made a pronounced jump of 6.8 percent from 2015, to $110,000.
- Job satisfaction reached an all-time peak with 53 percent of respondents rating satisfaction in their current positions as “high” or “very high.”
Download the infographic detailing seven key compensation trends for those working in the data industry.
Full details are available in the TDWI Salary, Roles, and Responsibilities Report, which is available as a benefit to TDWI Premium Members. More information about premium membership is available at https://tdwi.org/pages/membership/premium-membership.aspx. Members of the press may request a complimentary copy of the salary report by contacting [email protected].
Interviews with the TDWI Research Team
The research team is available for interviews regarding the findings and future trends derived from the report. To schedule an interview with Senior Director of Research and report author Philip Russom, or Vice President of Research Fern Halper, please contact [email protected]. Halper’s recent article regarding the gender wage gap as detailed in the salary report is available at: https://upside.tdwi.org/articles/2017/02/21/tdwi-2016-salary-survey-gender-pay-gap-remains.aspx
For 20 years, TDWI has provided individuals and teams with a comprehensive portfolio of business and technical education and research about all things data. The in-depth, best-practices-based knowledge TDWI offers can be quickly applied to develop world-class talent across your organization’s business and IT functions to enhance analytical, data-driven decision making and performance. TDWI advances the art and science of realizing business value from data by providing an objective forum where industry experts, solution providers, and practitioners can explore and enhance data competencies, practices, and technologies. TDWI offers six major conferences as well as topical seminars, onsite education, membership, certification, live webinars, resource-filled publications, industry news, and in-depth research. See tdwi.org or follow us on Twitter @TDWI.
About 1105 Media
1105 Media, Inc., is a leading provider of integrated information and media in targeted business-to-business markets, including specialized sectors of the information technology community; industrial health, safety, and compliance; security; environmental protection; and home healthcare. 1105's offerings span print and online magazines, journals, and newsletters; seminars, conferences, and trade shows; training courseware; and web-based services. 1105 Media is based in Chatsworth, California, with offices throughout the U.S.
Vice President of Marketing, TDWI.org