MapR Extends Convergence to the IoT Edge
New MapR Edge will drive processing and analytics closer to data sources.
Note: TDWI’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
MapR Technologies, Inc. has released MapR Edge, a small footprint edition of the MapR Converged Data Platform.
Addressing the need to capture, process, and analyze data generated by Internet of Things (IoT) devices close to the source, MapR Edge provides secure local processing, quick aggregation of insights, and the ability to push intelligence back to the edge for faster business impact.
The new MapR Edge is optimized for data collection, processing, streaming, and analytics at the edge. It integrates a globally distributed elastic data plane that supports distributed file processing as well as geo-distributed database applications.
The ability to act locally and learn globally describes how IoT applications leverage local data from numerous sources in many locations but often require machine learning or deep learning models with global knowledge. These models must then be deployed back to the edge to enable real-time decisions based on local events.
MapR Edge provides several benefits for deploying IoT/edge applications, including:
- Distributed data aggregation: Provides high-speed local processing (especially useful for location-restricted or sensitive data such as personally identifiable information) and consolidates IoT data from edge sites
- Bandwidth-awareness: Adjusts throughput from the edge to the cloud and/or data center, even with occasionally connected environments
- Global data plane: Provides a global view of all distributed clusters in a single namespace, simplifying application development and deployment
- Converged analytics: Combines operational decision making with real-time analysis of data at the edge
- Unified security: End-to-end IoT security provides authentication, authorization, and access control from the edge to the central clusters; MapR Edge also delivers secure encryption on the wire for data communicated between the edge and the main data center
- Standards-based: MapR Edge adheres to standards including POSIX and HDFS API for file access, ANSI SQL for querying, Kafka API for event streams, and HBase and OJAI API for NoSQL databases
- Enterprise-grade reliability: Delivers a reliable computing environment to tolerate multiple hardware failures that can occur in remote, isolated deployments
MapR Edge deployments are used in conjunction with central analytics and operational clusters running on the MapR Converged Enterprise Edition.
For more information, visit www.mapr.com.