Oracle Key Vault Secures Critical Encryption Keys
New solution provides centralized management of Oracle Database encryption master keys, Oracle wallet files, and Java KeyStores.
Note: TDWI’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
Encryption is widely recognized as the gold standard for protecting data privacy, but encryption is only as strong as its key management. Critical credential files such as Oracle wallet files, Java KeyStores, Secure Shell (SSH) key files, and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate files are often widely distributed across servers and server clusters that use error-prone synchronization and backup mechanisms. As organizations increasingly encrypt data at rest and on the network, securely managing all the encryption keys and credential files in the data center has become a major challenge.
At the same time, organizations also need to comply with stringent regulatory requirements for managing keys and certificates. Many global regulations and industry standards call for audits demonstrating that keys are routinely rotated, properly destroyed, and accessed solely by authorized entities.
To address the need for robust key management, Oracle has released Oracle Key Vault, a software appliance that securely manages encryption keys and credential files in the enterprise data center, including Oracle wallet files, Java KeyStores, Kerberos keytab files, SSH key files, and SSL certificate files.
The solution is optimized for the Oracle technology stack, including Oracle Database and Oracle Fusion Middleware, Oracle Key Vault can be deployed seamlessly in existing environments. Is it built for x86-64 hardware and uses Oracle Linux and Oracle Database technology for security, availability, and scalability.
Oracle Key Vault features include:
- Easy archival and recovery. Oracle wallet files, Java KeyStores, and other credential files are archived in a master repository, supporting fast, easy file sharing and recovery.
- Centralized management. Oracle Key Vault’s browser-based management console offers point-and-click administration, simplified server enrollment, and audit reports.
- Streamlined sharing. Organizations can securely share Oracle wallet files—standards-based encrypted files that securely store keys and related metadata used by components of the Oracle stack—across database clusters or disaster recovery environments. The product works seamlessly with Oracle Real Application Clusters, Oracle Active Data Guard, and Oracle GoldenGate.
- Flexibility. In Oracle Database environments using Oracle Advanced Security with Transparent Data Encryption (TDE), Oracle Key Vault manages TDE keys over a direct network connection as an alternative to a local Oracle wallet.
- Standards Compliance. Based on the OASIS Key Management Interoperability Protocol (KMIP), Oracle Key Vault can manage keys from KMIP-compliant clients.
More information is available here.