Cloud Data Warehouse Modernization
TDWI Speaker: David Loshin, President of Knowledge Integrity
Date: Wednesday, April 24, 2019
Time: 9:00 a.m. PT, 12:00 p.m. ET
The economic model and elegance of cloud environments are motivating companies to assess their existing on-premises data warehouses and modernize their enterprise information environments. However, confusion about what is meant by “modernization” has led some to believe that “lifting and shifting” their on-premises implementation to a cloud environment is the default approach. In these cases, the results are mixed—while the system has technically been moved to a modern cloud platform, by no means is it modernized.
In this webinar, we will reinforce the idea that system modernization provides an opportunity for reassessing the current business processes (as well as anticipated future business demands) and using what has been learned to refactor or reengineer a legacy system to align it with current business demands, support future expectations, and decouple hard-coded technical dependencies associated with the legacy implementation. This is to be distinguished from a simplistic “lift and shift” approach that just migrates code and data to a modern platform.
We will then present steps for establishing the appropriate landscape consisting of core capabilities that will be valuable when modernizing a data warehouse environment in the cloud. Attendees will learn about:
- Data discovery powered by machine learning techniques
- Data catalogs and data asset classification
- Enabling broad capabilities to support new types of users with self-service access to data
- Orchestration of data ingestion, provisioning, and seamless integration and connectivity across on-premises and cloud in a hybrid environment
- Implications for data governance and data security
- Delivering trusted, quality data