Datameer's New Spotlight Platform Designed to Provide Secure Data Access at Reduced Cost
New flagship product offers innovative approach to data analytics.
Note: TDWI’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
Datameer Inc. has released a new data access platform, Datameer Spotlight, designed to change the traditional central data warehouse paradigm. The new platform enables organizations to run analytics at scale in any environment and across data silos.
“Today’s approach to leveraging data for analytics has remained largely unchanged for almost three decades,” Datameer stated in its press announcement. “Organizations pipe all enterprise data into a centralized data warehouse or data lake in what is an expensive, time-consuming process. Promoting the vision of a single source of truth that delivers a 360-degree view of the customer, vendors have been competing to store a copy of your data in their data centers using their tools. Although the advent of the cloud data warehouse brought incremental improvements to organizations by saving them from planning for excess storage and compute resources on premises, it hasn’t changed the fundamental <em>duplicate and centrally store data</em> paradigm -- despite the fact that this approach is unwieldy, costly, and leaves enterprises struggling to leverage the full value of their data.”
Datameer points to issues with the traditional approach:
- 60 percent of executives aren’t very confident in their data and analytics insights (Forrester)
- 73 percent of business users’ analytical time is still spent searching, accessing, and prepping data (IDC)
- More than 60 percent of data in an enterprise is not used for analytics (Forrester)
Datameer Spotlight provides a virtual semantic layer that embraces a distributed data model -- also known as a data mesh.
With more than 200 connectors, Datameer Spotlight provides business end users virtual access to any type of on-premises or cloud data source -- including data warehouses, data lakes, and any applications -- and lets them combine and create new virtual data sets specific to their needs via a visual interface (or a SQL code editor for more advanced users), with no need for data replication. The data is left in place at the source. This new approach provides:
- Data governance: Data remains at the source and no data replication is needed.
- Cost savings: With no need for ETL tools, a central data warehouse, data cataloging, a data prep tool, data engineering, or middleman between the data and the end user, the platform reduces the cost of traditional approaches.
- Speed and agility: Connecting Datameer Spotlight to a new data source takes as much time as entering your credentials to this data source. Once connected, business users can create new data sets across data sources in a few clicks.
- Data discoverability: It virtualizes your data landscape by indexing the metadata of every data source and creating a searchable inventory of assets that can easily be mined by analysts and data scientists -- all without moving any data.
For details visit https://www.datameer.com/spotlight-free-trial/