Splice Machine Updates Hadoop RDBMS
Version 1.5 of real-time, relational database adds more enterprise-ready features and improves performance to support businesses requiring a scale-out, affordable alternative to traditional RDBMSs.
Note: TDWI’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
Splice Machine has released version 1.5 of its Hadoop RDBMS, adding multiple enterprise-ready features that enable businesses to confidently replace their traditional RDBMSs, such as Oracle and MySQL, with an affordable, scale-out alternative that delivers 5-10x greater performance at one fourth the cost.
In working with customers and partners, the Splice Machine team identified key functionality and performance improvements that would enable companies to increase the benefits of using Splice Machine to power real-time applications, run operational data lakes or accelerate their ETL pipelines.
New features included with version 1.5 of Splice Machine's Hadoop RDBMS include:
- Foreign keys enable referential integrity between tables
- Triggers let you provide the ability to execute procedural code based on update, insert or delete actions
- BI Tool Compatibility (e.g. Tableau, MicroStrategy):
- Temporary tables enable BI Tools to create temporary tables to perform operations on intermediate results
- SQL Functions deliver pre-built functions such as TOP N, LIMIT N, MONTHNAME, QUARTER, WEEK, and NOW
Incremental backup: Provides recovery from data corruption by backing up data changed since the last backup
Window functions provide FIRST, LAST, LEAD, and LAG functions for advanced analytical queries
Performance improvements include:
- Enhanced Statistics: The solution collects more granular statistics required to choose best query plan
- Includes cost-based optimizer improvements: Improved ordering of table access, selection of query plans, index selection, join algorithm selection (e.g., broadcast join, merge join, merge sort join, batch nested loop join)
- Subquery unrolling converts nested subqueries in joins, accelerating certain analytical queries by well over 1000 times
The Splice Machine database is available for licensing at a per node price that includes 24/7 technical support. Version 1.5 is also now available to download and try at www.splicemachine.com/download. For more information about Splice Machine, please visit www.splicemachine.com.