Oracle Releases Big Data Appliance
New engineered system and Oracle big data connectors help unlock the value of enterprise big data.
Note: TDWI’s editors carefully choose vendor-issued press releases about new or upgraded products and services. We have edited and/or condensed this release to highlight key features but make no claims as to the accuracy of the vendor's statements.
Oracle today released Oracle Big Data Appliance to help customers derive maximum business value from Big Data. The appliance is an engineered system of hardware and software that incorporates Cloudera’s Distribution Including Apache Hadoop with Cloudera Manager, plus an open source distribution of R.
Running on Oracle Linux, the system also features Oracle NoSQL Database Community Edition and Oracle HotSpot Java Virtual Machine.
Oracle today also announced the availability of Oracle Big Data Connectors, a software product that helps customers easily integrate data stored in Hadoop and Oracle NoSQL Database with Oracle Database 11g.
Together with Oracle Exadata Database Machine, Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud and Oracle Exalytics In-Memory Machine, Oracle Big Data Appliance with the Oracle Big Data Connectors software delivers everything customers require to acquire, organize, and to analyze Big Data within the context of all their enterprise data.
Engineered System Addresses Big Data Requirements
Designed to simplify implementation and management of Big Data projects, Oracle Big Data Appliance comes in a full rack configuration of 18 Oracle Sun servers with a total of:
- 864 GB main memory
- 216 CPU cores
- 648 TB of raw disk storage
- 40 Gb/s InfiniBand connectivity between nodes and other Oracle engineered systems
- 10 Gb/s Ethernet data center connectivity
The new engineered system scales by connecting multiple racks together via an InfiniBand network enabling it to acquire, organize, and analyze extreme data volumes.
Oracle Big Data Appliance features Cloudera's Distribution Including Apache Hadoop (CDH), a comprehensive, tested, stable, and widely deployed distribution of Hadoop in commercial and non-commercial environments. Also included is Cloudera Manager, an end-to-end management application for Apache Hadoop.
Previously released, Oracle NoSQL Database is a distributed key-value database designed to manage massive amounts of data. It scales horizontally to hundreds of nodes with high availability and delivers predictable levels of throughput and latency, while requiring minimal administration. Oracle Big Data Appliance can run both Oracle NoSQL Database Community and Enterprise Editions.
Oracle Big Data Appliance is architected to help customers:
- Rapidly provision a highly-available and scalable system for managing massive amounts of data
- Deliver a high performance platform for organizing, processing and analyzing Big Data in Hadoop and using R on raw data sources
- Control IT costs by pre-integrating all hardware and software components into a single Big Data solution that complements enterprise data warehouses
Oracle Big Data Connectors software is available for use with both Oracle Big Data Appliance and other Apache Hadoop-based systems. The bundle includes:
- Oracle Loader for Hadoop, which uses MapReduce processing to load data efficiently into Oracle Database 11g
- Oracle Data Integrator Application Adapter for Hadoop, which enables Oracle Data Integrator to generate Hadoop MapReduce programs through an easy-to-use graphical interface
- Oracle Connector R, which gives R users native, high-performance access to Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) and MapReduce programming framework
- Oracle Direct Connector for Hadoop Distributed File System (ODCH), which enables the Oracle Database SQL engine to access data seamlessly from the Hadoop Distributed File System
Oracle Big Data Connectors and Oracle NoSQL Database are available as standalone software products independent of Oracle Big Data Appliance.
More information is available at www.oracle.com.