RESEARCH & RESOURCES

Standalone Solutions

BI StatShots Dec 11 2006

Results of a survey about the status and scope of enterprise MDM solutions.

Given that MDM is broadening beyond silos into enterprisewide usage, TDWI’s survey of MDM practices asked about the status of standalone MDM solutions (Figure 1). A mere 11 percent of respondents reported reaching the implementation phase, while 9 percent have reached deployment. Combining these into 20 percent shows that a minority of organizations have made a tangible investment in MDM as a standalone solution. The low results are most likely due to MDM being relatively new as an individual focal point outside of a larger application.

In fact, 21 percent have no plans, probably because silo forms of operational MDM and analytic MDM are adequate for them. With 46 percent of respondents representing organizations in the exploration phase and another 13 percent in design, it’s likely that many more standalone MDM solutions will appear in the next few years. Of the 20 percent minority who had reached implementation or deployment, we asked: “What is the INSIGHT scope of your organization’s MDM solution?” (See Figure 2.) A surprisingly high 52 percent responded that the scope is “whole enterprise” or “a single department that spans the enterprise” (24 percent), like an IT or marketing department. Although few organizations are practicing MDM as a standalone solution (20 percent), most of those embracing the practice have done so with enterprise scope (76 percent).

— Philip Russom
Senior Manager of Research and Services, TDWI

Note that some of the questions in the survey were available only to the 148 respondents who claimed to have implemented an MDM solution. This way, the responses reflect actual experience, not intentions or impressions.


What's the status of your organization's MDM solution?

Status of your organization's MDM solution

Figure 1. Based on 741 respondents

What is the scope of your organization's MDM solution?

Scope of your organization's MDM solution

Figure 2. Based on 148 respondents

Source: Master Data Management: Consensus-Driven Data Definitions for Cross-Application Consistency, October 2006.

About the Author

Philip Russom, Ph.D., is senior director of TDWI Research for data management and is a well-known figure in data warehousing, integration, and quality, having published over 550 research reports, magazine articles, opinion columns, and speeches over a 20-year period. Before joining TDWI in 2005, Russom was an industry analyst covering data management at Forrester Research and Giga Information Group. He also ran his own business as an independent industry analyst and consultant, was a contributing editor with leading IT magazines, and a product manager at database vendors. His Ph.D. is from Yale. You can reach him by email (prussom@tdwi.org), on Twitter (twitter.com/prussom), and on LinkedIn (linkedin.com/in/philiprussom).


TDWI Membership

Get immediate access to training discounts, video library, BI Teams, Skills, Budget Report, and more

Individual, Student, & Team memberships available.