Level: Beginner to Intermediate
Expert in Data Literacy and Data Science
Data-driven decision-making has expanded through all parts of the business, fueled by self-service programs, visualization tools, and advances in BI and analytics tools. However, tools and visualizations alone do not lead to business impact. In this class, you will learn to translate insights into action by telling a data story that resonates with stakeholders.
In this workshop, you will develop the storytelling skills that have become a core competency for anyone who works with data—from data scientists and machine learning engineers to business analysts and rank-and-file managers. You will learn how to frame a story based on the business context of the problem, the nature of the message, and the perspective of the audience. The course will cover best practices for crafting the appropriate narrative and provide techniques for choosing visualizations that will have the desired impact. Worksheets will guide you through each step of the storytelling process, and guided exercises will help you practice these skills.
Data storytelling is an essential part of your data literacy skill set. Learn to tell data-driven stories that will have a positive impact in your business.
You Will Learn
- How to define the context of the story and understand the desired outcome
- How to identify the appropriate visual design to communicate your insights
- How to craft and streamline a narrative for clarity and impact
- How to see the story from the stakeholder’s view
- Techniques and best practices for visual design and storytelling
- How to apply the storytelling process to case studies