Level: Beginner to Intermediate
Expert in Data Management and Human Factors
Universal Mindful, LLC
Without effective negotiations, we cannot be successful in BI or data governance. There are many situations in these efforts that involve negotiation, including gaining adherence to standards or policies, working within a project’s timelines and budgets, deciding which architectures or designs to use, establishing who gets access to what data, determining strategy and priorities, and a plethora of other undertakings. In this class, you will learn negotiation skills for success in these efforts.
Many of us have not studied the art of negotiation and are not equipped with useful tools and frameworks for negotiating, even in many of the inevitable circumstances that we face as BI and data governance professionals. We are also under misconceptions about negotiations. For example, research has confirmed that the adage, “the one who speaks first, loses” may not produce the best outcomes. To be successful in data governance and BI, it is essential to sharpen our negotiation skills and master effective techniques and tools, such as the valuable ones provided in this class.
You Will Learn
- Leading negotiation tools and techniques
- Common, likely scenarios where data professionals need to negotiate and how to effectively negotiate in these circumstances
- Case studies of negotiations in data governance and BI efforts that led to successful and unsuccessful outcomes
- A framework for negotiation including what to do before, during, and after a negotiation
- Principles for negotiation as well as misconceptions to know in order to achieve optimal results and avoid mistakes
- Research and studies regarding effective negotiation techniques
- Fun and practical exercises in negotiation to practice and develop effective negotiation skills