Between a Rock and a Hard Place: How to Modernize Legacy Middleware for an Evolving, Data-driven World
TDWI Speaker: Philip Russom, Senior Research Director for Data Management
Date: Wednesday, May 3, 2017
Time: 9:00 a.m. PT, 12:00 p.m. ET
In support of daily operations, many organizations depend heavily on systems for enterprise application integration (EAI), enterprise service bus (ESB), and other approaches to middleware. Yet, these infrastructures are today legacy technologies that predate the rise of big data and unstructured data, as well as modern sources and targets for integration, such machines, devices, clouds, social media, and the Internet of Things (IoT). Furthermore, many middleware vendor tools are still optimized for the on-premises ERP-dominated applications world of twenty years ago; others are in legacy mode, with no future upgrades coming.
Organizations with legacy middleware need to create a strategy for middleware modernization. And they must act immediately, before middleware inhibits enterprise digital transformation, innovation, agility, competitiveness, and growth. However, rescuing middleware from its current position between a rock and a hard place has its challenges.
This webinar will discuss the challenges and strategies of middleware modernization:
- When to rip and replace middleware versus when to embrace and extend
- Best practices for projects in middleware migration, consolidation, and extension
- How to mix data integration and application integration functionalities for maximum modernity and business value
- The importance of new approaches, especially clouds, microservices, and managed services
- Real-world use cases and business cases for middleware modernization
Philip Russom, Ph.D.