Cloud migrations have been typified as projects that take too long and cost too much. In order to create a positive ROI for a transition to the cloud, it's important to collect comprehensive assessment data.
This workshop enables teams to estimate the effort necessary for cloud-native and pure migration methods, choose the right approach for each business application, and prepare for an effective transition.
Your team will learn the stages of an ROI-driven migration process, work through major phases as a group, and receive tools and templates that support the process. The workshop concludes with the development of the business case for a pilot implementation.
On the first day of this hands-on workshop, you will learn the major phases of cloud migration, including Business Case, Discovery, Assessment, Planning, Execution and Optimization of the cloud migration process. This six-stage process scales and accelerates the data management modernization process while, at the same time, rationalizing the infrastructure required to support the business application and analytical needs.
Workshop activities will start with goal setting. You will then learn a unique, layered approach to application discovery, followed by application-centric assessment techniques. These techniques include database and source code assessment, as well as risk assessment and identification of impediments. In addition, you will be exposed to several tools and templates which will illustrate what is required to make data-driven assessment decisions quickly, and de-risk your migration project by maximizing savings and positive business impact.
The second day is devoted to building a business case for your enterprise and determining the expected business benefit. We will use the data collected from your own environment to demonstrate the techniques covered on the previous day. Your team will walk away with skills, tactics and resources to make your voyage to the cloud successful, ensuring you won’t need to come back to the business cap in hand for more funding later.
You Will Learn
- How enterprise objectives are used to drive your business case
- How to collect a wide variety of required application and analytical source information
- The organizational skills required
- Deep-dive analysis techniques to mine infrastructure, database and application dynamics that have real implications for your transition planning
- High-level target architectures
- Understand the factors and characteristics that drive transition strategies
- How to assemble transition waves and ensuring the right order of operations
- The 6 transition strategies - Refactor, Re-platform, Rehost, Repurchase (data migration), Retire (follow decommissioning process), and Retain (do nothing)
- How to quickly build a business case for your migration program
- How to implement a continuous modernization program to leverage the full benefit of the Cloud
- Senior leaders in business, data, and analytics
- Data, integration, and enterprise architects
- Data, analytics, and BI engineers and operational managers
Note: The second day of this workshop assumes attendees will be present with a basic understanding of your enterprise’s own infrastructure, platforms, and database technologies.