Dimensional Modeling from a Business Perspective: A Model the Business Can Understand
Duration: Full Day Course
Prerequisite: Exposure to some IT projects is helpful.
Today's businesses are under increasing pressure to deliver more with less. Meeting this challenge requires leveraging all resources—especially data. The time-proven method is through dimensional data structures. Organizations often struggle to develop dimensional models that consistently meet business needs. Using business dimension modeling techniques, the business and systems communities can effectively partner to create a model that will support the business today and in the future.
This course teaches the basic principles of dimensional modeling using real-world scenarios, but is not intended to provide the complete skills necessary to develop dimensional models from scratch. This practical background can be used by members of the business community to improve communication of their requirements and increase their understanding and participation throughout the project.
The course ends by putting the modeling effort into the proper context. Techniques for successfully gathering business requirements are shared. A quick overview of what is needed to build the database and deliver the data to the business is also provided. Several design exercises are included to reinforce the concepts presented in class. These team exercises prepare the students to apply these concepts on their own projects.
You Will Learn
- How to identify facts and dimensions
- How to design comprehensive and flexible dimensions
- Different types of facts and how to model them
- Various techniques to facilitate involvement of the business community in the modeling process
- Anyone who is involved with the data warehouse
- Members of the business community who are interested in understanding basic dimensional modeling concepts
- All other projects team members, including business intelligence application developers, project managers, database administrators, data modelers, and data staging developers