One often hears about the value of storytelling in analytics and the role it plays to both engage users and ensure behavioral change. However, there are many barriers: where to start, how to make a story from often changing data, how to craft a narrative that is compelling to a specific user?
This course is entirely rooted in real-world application of storytelling in dashboards. It provides the theory, process, and methodology to start applying storytelling to the enterprise. The session takes participants through a live process—with several examples and case studies—of how to craft a story to ensure a dashboard has value to the user and also a path to action and resolution.
You Will Learn
- The reasons why storytelling is hard
- A basic narrative arc to apply in dashboards
- The problem-action-resolution flow
- Embedding storytelling into the dashboard structure
- The fundamental criteria to crafting a story
- Understanding the user perspective
- Mapping the users, data, and business value into the story
- Business analysts
- IT professionals
- Managers with a need to use data for decision making