Cloud data warehousing has become popular as companies are faced with growing data volumes, service-level expectations, and the need to integrate structured warehouse data with unstructured data in a data lake. Cloud data warehousing provides many benefits—but getting there isn’t easy. Migrating an existing data warehouse to the cloud is a complex process that involves moving schema, data, and ETL. The complexity increases when architectural modernization, restructuring of database schema, or rebuilding of data pipelines is needed.
In this course, Dave Wells will describe the benefits, techniques, and challenges of migrating an existing data warehouse to the cloud. You will get an overview of the major cloud data warehouse providers and examine some technologies that can ease the pain of cloud migration. Migration pragmatics are described within the framework of a step-by-step approach.
There are real and substantial benefits to moving an existing data warehouse to the cloud. Most companies avoid the “big bang” and migrate incrementally. The techniques and technologies described here will get you started quickly and enable you to smoothly navigate the migration road map.
You Will Learn
- The what and why of cloud data warehousing
- Complexities and challenges when migrating a data warehouse to the cloud
- A step-by-step approach to data warehouse migration
- Considerations for incremental migration
- The cloud data warehousing technology landscape
- The cloud migration technology landscape
- All stakeholders in cloud data warehouse migration projects including architects, program and project managers, data stewards, data engineers, data warehouse developers, and data warehouse operations and support groups