Why is it often the case that figuring out what data means is a research project, even when a data model is available? This course is a gentle introduction to semantic technology.Itteaches how to incorporate the meaning of data into a data model in a way that informs humans and is also computable.
This interactive workshop will teach the basic concepts of semantics, including knowledge graphs and triples, and show how data models and semantics can work together. You will learn how to annotate relationships in the leading data modeling tools (ERwin, E/R Studio, PowerDesigner) and in Concept and Object Modeling Notation (COMN), the only notation that can fully express semantics and target all the NoSQL and SQL databases.
You Will Learn
- Semantic technologies, including knowledge graphs, OWL, and inferencing
- Linked data and the Semantic Web: harnessing open data for your company
- How semantics relate to SQL and NoSQL databases
- The five labels on every relationship, and how they map to E-R models and COMN
- How to look at an E-R model “sideways” and find relationships within a single entity
- Data modelers, data architects, big data analysts, data scientists, and others looking for ways to visualize the meaning of data together with its structure
- People looking for ways to graphically represent business requirements in preparation for modeling the data that represents them