TDWI Releases Unique Analytics Maturity Model, Online Assessment Tool, and Guide
Online survey and assessment guide helps organizations determine the maturity of their analytics program; offers best practices customized to the user’s situation for moving forward with analytics projects.
SEATTLE, WA, November 12, 2014—TDWI, the leading source for in-depth education and research on all things data, today announced its new online assessment tool for analytics. This first-of-its-kind tool objectively measures the maturity of an enterprise’s analytics program and provides actionable, best practices–based recommendations on how to quickly advance analytics initiatives to gain more value.
The maturity of a program is assessed across the five key dimensions: organization, infrastructure, data management, analytics, and governance. Questions in the online assessment are weighted differently depending on their relative importance to an enterprise’s maturity. Because organizations can be at different maturity levels in each of these five dimensions, the tool scores each section separately and provides an overall score.
"We created the TDWI Analytics Maturity Model in response to organizations’ need to better understand how their analytics deployments compare to their peers," said Fern Halper, TDWI research director for advanced analytics. "Along with this unique maturity model, the assessment tool and guide make it possible for IT and business professionals to get the best practices they need to start their analytics journey—and the insight and research-based guidance they require to realize true value from their analytics efforts."
After completing the 35 assessment questions online, a user receives a score that evaluates where their organization is along its analytics path
The five maturity phases are:
- Nascent, which represents a pre-analytics environment; most companies are exploring the concept of analytics. The culture is not data driven and decisions are made based on gut instinct rather than on fact.
- Pre-adoption, during which an organization starts to "do its homework" regarding analytics. Organizations may have invested in new technology, such as a low-cost front-end BI or data discovery tool or a back-end database.
- Early adoption, when organizations are putting analytics tools and methodologies in place. Organizations are thinking about data management and reporting. Enterprises tend to spend a long time moving through the early adoption phase before crossing the chasm to corporate-wide adoption of analytics.
- Corporate adoption, the major crossover phase in an enterprise’s analytics journey, during which end users may change how decisions are made by operationalizing analytics in their organization. They begin using disparate kinds of data, including semi-structured or unstructured data.
- Mature/visionary, in which organizations are executing analytics smoothly using a highly tuned infrastructure with well-established program and data governance strategies.
As organizations progress through these five stages, the value derived from their analytics investments grows.
Users can take the online assessment anonymously and without charge here and review what their score means and learn best practices for moving to the next state TDWI Analytics Maturity Model Guidehere.
TDWI, a division of 1105 Media, Inc., is the premier provider of in-depth, high-quality education and research in the business intelligence, data warehousing, and analytics industry. TDWI is dedicated to educating business and information technology professionals about the best practices, strategies, techniques, and tools required to successfully design, build, maintain, and enhance business intelligence and data warehousing solutions. TDWI also fosters the advancement of business intelligence and data warehousing research and contributes to knowledge transfer and the professional development of its members. TDWI offers a worldwide membership program, five major educational conferences, topical educational seminars, role-based training, on-site courses, certiﬁcation, solution provider partnerships, an awards program for best practices, live Webinars, resourceful publications, and an in-depth research program. For more information, visit tdwi.org or follow us on Twitter @TDWI.
About 1105 Media
1105 Media, Inc., is a leading provider of integrated information and media in targeted business-to-business markets, including specialized sectors of the information technology community; industrial health, safety, and compliance; security; environmental protection; and home healthcare. 1105's offerings span print and online magazines, journals, and newsletters; seminars, conferences, and trade shows; training courseware; and Web-based services. 1105 Media is based in Chatsworth, CA, with offices throughout the United States.
Fern Halper, TDWI
email@example.com | 978.443.0504