Level: Beginner to Intermediate
Expert in Data Visualization and Communication
This workshop teaches you how to correctly and responsibly harness the power of data visualization, with the goal of immediately impacting your work. Learn practical ideas and actions to apply whether you create charts to present data or want to see the possibilities of your organization driving the adoption of data literacy and data visualization.
You will learn to apply the foundations of data literacy (the structure of visual language) to provide what people want from their data and to unleash your creativity. When you use words, you know how to communicate the same ideas in a variety of ways. In the visual world, knowing how to do the same by applying core traits (e.g., size, color, gradient) lets you express a message with clarity to hold the reader's attention.
Throughout this workshop you will apply what you have learned in a series of games and exercises. These activities will reinforce the new concepts and empower you to put them into action right away when you are back in the office.
You Will Learn
- Master the “hierarchy” of how people consume visual information
- Trade-off between visual elements to simplify existing dashboards
- Use color and gradients to focus the eye and reduce distractions
- Eliminate cross tabs and make important information obvious
- Reduce visual noise so your message is consumed effortlessly
- Lay out your dashboards so they can be read as quickly as possible
- Expand your visual vocabulary with options for pie and stacked bar charts
- Data analysts who want to communicate their insights with clarity
- Centralized teams responsible for authoring dashboards for others
- Marketers who want to show the impact and value of their programs
- Chief data officers looking to guide their teams beyond reporting